National Internship and Advisor Development Program
The Lincoln Financial Advisors-Internship Program and Advisor Development Program
The internship program is designed for exceptional individuals who are committed to the entrepreneurial career path of a financial planner. This is a rigorous,12-month program that will expose you to the systems and processes that successful advisors employ to develop their practice. You will be required to attend training, complete weekly reports, and be held accountable for your progress in the program. A potential full-time advisor career opportunity may be presented to interns who exceed expectations and exhibit the traits of successful advisors.
What does it look like on a daily basis?
- Setting appointments with existing Lincoln clients and managing meeting logistics.
- Completing marketing projects for individual financial planners.
- Running financial planning, retirement and investment illustrations for client meetings.
- Assisting with preparations for client events such as seminars, benefit fairs and client appreciation events.
- Preparing Morningstar reports, retirement income plans, investment solutions and financial condition models.
- You have a desire to be your own boss and manage your own career trajectory.
- You are a self-starter that doesn’t need hand holding but you seek out, accept and appreciate training and coaching.
- You are outgoing, someone that cares about others and builds relationships and rapport easily.
- You have strong MS Office skills and are a quick-study with computer programs you are unfamiliar with.
- You are never afraid to pick up the phone, whether it is to call a customer to or get information from Lincoln’s home office.
- You are tenacious when it comes to follow-through, and details rarely slip through your grasp.
- You must be driven, self-disciplined, have a ton of energy and enjoy a fast-paced environment.
- Prefer candidates that are in their 3rd or 4th year of undergraduate studies, or have completed their degree and are open to a part-time or full-time internship.
- Must be committed to the entrepreneurial career of a financial planner.
- Aptitude for sales and customer service.
- Demonstrated success in work and/or school.
What will you gain?
- A personal brand and marketing tool kit ready to take into your new career as an advisor
- Help with creating approach scripts and pitches for your natural market and centers of influence
- A comprehensive budget analysis to ensure you are financially prepared
- Scheduling and time management guidelines
- General product knowledge
- Paperwork processing exposure
- Networking skills and potential practice opportunities
- Relationships that will help you get through your first few years as a new advisor
“My experience is that most people learn by doing and that’s exactly what our internship program is all about. Whether it’s reaching out to our existing clients, shadowing a financial planner for the day or working on an investment proposal, our interns gain hands-on experience every step of the way. We train our interns throughout the process while simultaneously expecting them to add value from day one by getting them involved in important projects. If you are interested in the Financial Planning Industry, this type of internship program is a can’t miss opportunity.”
– Ryan McCloskey, CFP®, CLU®, ChFC®, CRPC
Director, Lincoln Retirement Plan Services
Since the program’s inception in 2008 41% of interns in the history of the program have stayed with Lincoln in some capacity 36% of interns in the history of the program have transitioned into advisor roles.
Check out the success stories below: